Monday, June 3, 2013

Indiana Jones 5 Poster


It all Starts in Photoshop where I draw out a thumbnail and Start Comping in photos and painting in the gaps.   I explained the process in greater detail in my previous post, and it's pretty much the same here. I can leave it sloppy because I am going to Draw everything anyways. This was a Fun Part of the process because I got to cast my movie. My Idea involves Indy meeting up with an old buddy from WWII... Jacques Cousteau For an underwater archaeological adventure.

I prep my paper, In this case arches 160lb watercolour paper 22x30 Though I am going to upgrade to 300lb from now on... to Prep the board I paint it with Gesso Darkened to a medium grey. Starting with Grey leaves a lot more room to move in regards to the value range of the image. everything is medium until I eventually add the Highlights and the 3d forms pop out. I always wet the back of the paper first to avoid stretching and thus warping of the paper.



I project the image and Draw it in, constantly switching between the Projection and a Photo Printout to Place  everything. Then I erase it all away... almost.






Next I Draw It all in. this Time I used a really Dark Pencil 8B for the first time and It worked wonderfully to allow more of the drawing to show through the paint.
Then I Sprayed it With a Workable Fixative Spray, its the first time I tried this as well and it was a huge improvement, in regards to how the paint eventually sticks.

Next I painted in the blacks.

Then airbrush in the colors.
and Then Attack it with Pencil Crayons

Finally I get it Scanned and Photoshop it again to add a little contrast.
There you have it.

No comments: